What is the initiative?
A new initiative has been launched, whereby learners aged 8-18 years attending a Flintshire school, can order sanitary products to be delivered direct to their home address for free. The Council is committed to period dignity for all children and young people in Flintshire and have teamed up with Hey Girls, an award-winning UK-based period product company, to deliver free, period products right to your door! Period pants and period cups are the reusable answer to managing your period. You can choose a one-off delivery of reusable products which are not only good for you, but good for the environment.
Why is the initiative happening?
Every month, girls in the UK face period poverty: two fifths (40%) have had to use toilet roll because they can’t afford proper sanitary products. Often the cost of reusable products (period pants /menstrual cups) can be the barrier for young people in trying them, however this initiative will enable learners to try one of these options for free and have a supply of disposable products of their choice as well (pads / tampons).
What can I order?
You can order a three months’ supply of disposable products - a convenient way to manage your period. Choose one of the product bundles below! All these disposable products are made from environmentally-friendly materials that biodegrade.
There are 6 different combinations / bundles to choose from – combinations of reusable and disposable products:
1. Pants & Pads – a bundle of three pairs of reusable period pants and a three month supply of disposable period pads.
2. Pants, Pads & Tampons - a bundle of three pairs of reusable period pants and a three month supply of disposable period pads and tampons.
3. Cup Combo Kit & Pads - a Cup Combo Kit (containing a reusable period cup and sterilising pot) and a three month supply of disposable period pads.
4. Cup Combo Kit, Pads & Tampons - a Cup Combo Kit (containing a reusable period cup and sterilising pot) and a three month supply of disposable period pads and tampons.
5. Full Cycle Kit & Pads - a Full Cycle Kit (containing 1 x reusable panty liner, 2 x reusable day pads, 2 x reusable night pads in an eco bag) and a three month supply of disposable pads.
6. Full Cycle Kit, Pads & Tampons - a Full Cycle Kit (containing 1 x reusable panty liner, 2 x reusable day pads, 2 x reusable night pads in an eco bag) and a three month supply of disposable pads and tampons.
How do I/my child place an order?
All learners need to do is complete the online form (themselves or with a parent) and choose what product bundle they would like from a webpage hosted on the Hey Girls site. Please see link below:
Your request will then go to Flintshire County Council to verify the young person is on roll at the school they have stated and then the products will be posted out – initially as a three month supply in one order (If the initiative is extended post April, monthly deliveries may continue thereafter - however this will very much dependant on uptake).
Here’s what some of the students have to say:
“I think that reusable pads are good because they are environmentally friendly as they reduce plastic waste. I also think that they are better and more comfortable.”
“I believe that everyone should have access to reusable pads and also disposable pads. The idea of mailing products to your home is good, people may be embarrassed to ask for pads and this would be a lot more discreet.”
“I believe that period products are an essential item, not a luxury, and every girl and woman should have access to them.”
About Hey Girls
Hey Girls is a period product social enterprise. For every product it sells it donates the equivalent product to someone in need. Since the community interest company was established in 2018, Hey Girls has donated over 19 million period products. Their aim is to help eradicate period poverty, enable better access to quality period products for all and to stomp out the stigma and bust the myths and taboos that surround periods.
This project has been funded by Flintshire County Council via the Welsh Government's period dignity grant 2021/22.